- ClientUnilever & Stanhope
- Duration N/A
Demolition of Unilever House whilst retaining the original 1930’s front façade
The global headquarters of consumer goods giant, Unilever, had become tired and inefficient due to age and unsympathetic alterations. Stanhope was therefore tasked with creating a show stopping HQ that was light, sustainable and modern.
McGee was employed to carry out the demolition of Unilever House, located at Blackfriars. The contract incorporated: asbestos removal, major deplanting works, soft strip, retention of items of historic interest, hard demolition of the structure to sub-basement level, surgical foundation demolition and formation of 14, 25 metre deep Caisson piles.
The building was a renowned example of 1930’s design so the retention of the front façade was key to the project’s success so that it could be restored and incorporated into the new development.
Taking into consideration the sensitivity of the location, the works were carried out under a strict noise, vibration and dust monitoring regime.
A key highlight for the project included the incorporation of the hand dug Caissons in lieu of traditional piles. This resulted in significant programme savings. The innovative use of a tower crane operated grab and specialist low headroom grab assisted in the Caisson operation.