More than 50 years of the McGee Group – with a history of milestones
- 1959Tom McGee founded McGee Group1963Formal Formation of McGee Group1965Tilbury Docks, Essex - Awarded first works package at Tilbury Docks which would last for 5 years1970Blackwall Tunnel - Bulk excavation1972Royal Docks, London - Recycling of demolition arisings using specialist quarrying plant - a UK 1st!1972McGee Fleet - Introduction of radio controlled fleet1974Dartford Tunnel - Bulk excavation1975London Bridge - Demolition of last remaining original structure (not over the river)1975Courage Brewery, Reading - Use of Pre-Cast Concrete Box Culvert System - a UK 1st - and bulk excavation1976Post Office, St Martin’s Le Grand - Use of a Skin Wall Earth Retention Scheme - a UK 1st!1977HMS Warrior, Northwood - Groundworks and excavation
- 1980First Recycling Facility opens in the UK - Bespoke demolition and Recycling Facility opens in London1981Lloyds Building, Lime Street, London - Completion of original earthworks for the iconic existing structure1981Terminal 4, Heathrow - Completion of Heathrow T4 earthworks1982Standard Chartered Bank, Bishopsgate, London - Use of a Skin Wall Earth Retention Scheme1982Griffiths McGee formed - The UK’s first combined groundworks and demolition company is formed1984British Library, Euston - A Telescopic Grab is used for the first time in the UK1984Banque Paribas, 68 Lombard Street, London - Concrete Surgery took place for the first time in the UK1984Beaver House / Mansion House Station, London - First demolition in the UK that is carried out over a ‘live’ London Underground Station exposing it to the open-air for the first time
- 1985Broadgate, London - The Post Tensioned Arch Retention System is used for the first time1985Leaning Tower of Hackney - Complete demolition to failed blow down1986Ronan Point, London - Demolition of the infamous tower block, Ronan Point. Comprised 22 storeys of pre-cast concrete panel construction. This was the first time in the UK that a tower crane had been used on a high rise deconstruction project1986No.1 St Martin’s Le Grand - Europe’s largest ever temporary works scheme at No.1 St Martin’s Le Grand. Even larger temporary works followed at Battersea Power Station1987Battersea Power Station - First Use of Remote Control Brokk Demolition Machine in the UK1987Bishopsgate Development - Demolition of station roof and structures over the ‘live’ London Liverpool Street Railway Station1988Monument Station - Demolition of structure over ‘live’ London Underground Station including the removal of the 19th century wrought iron and jack arch raft1989Chelsea & Westminster Hospital - Very large basement excavation and anchored skin walling to give unobstructed dig up to 10m deep
- 1990Royal Academy of Arts - Demolition of upper galleries while the galleries below were open1990Ludgate Viaduct, London - Demolition of Ludgate Viaduct, including the bridge1991Glaxo, Stevenage - UK’s first bespoke designed and integrated H-Pile and Driven Pre-Cast Concrete Earth Retention System1991Daiwa House, Wood Street, London - Demolition over a ‘live’ telephone exchange1992Connah's Quay Power Station - Demolition of power station, including cooling towers1992172-182 Regent Street, London - Facade retention19951 Princess Street, London - Bespoke temporary works scheme enables banking hall to remain intact and in position whilst suspended in mid air1996British Airways World Cargo Centre - Demolition and earthworks undertaken1997Tate Britain - First Use of Electric Excavator to eliminate emissions1998Harrods, London - UK’s first deep basement excavation using Telescopic Grab, guided by CCTV1999Paternoster Square, London - McGee’s own bespoke EX60 Remote controlled Demolition Machine is launched
- 2000Introduction of Weigh Load Indicators - Bespoke Weigh Load Indicator is introduced on all McGee tipper trucks2003Wembley Stadium - Demolition of the iconic Twin Towers, followed by groundworks and foundations for the new Stadium2004Ascot Racecourse - Demolition of the historic Grandstand2004Knightsbridge, London - UK’s 1st bespoke modification of a 13 tonne excavator to use a 30 tonne attachment for RC concrete demolition2007Stables Market, London - Acting as Main Contractor, work begins on the redevelopment of one of Europe’s most popular tourist attractions2008Leadenhall Street, London - UK 1st ‘bottom up’ deconstruction of a hung structure2008Dock Road, London - New Recycling Facility opens2008Bloomberg Square, London - McGee commences work at Bloomberg Square2010Tottenham Court Road, London - Demolitioin of Astoria Theatre and structures adjacent to the station, in preparation for Crossrail2010Ibis Hotel, Gloucester - Construction of a new hotel for Accor begins2010Hilton Hotel, Bankside, London - As part of a JV with Galliford Try, work begins on a new 5* hotel
- 2011INTO Newcastle - Work begins on new student accommodation for Balfour Beatty2011Bond Street Station, London - Demolition of Bond Street Station for Crossrail2011Heathrow Airport, T2 - Record airside muckaway of c 750,000m32012New Zealand - Demolition works undertaken in earthquake-hit Christchurch, New Zealand in partnership with local contractor, MARCH2012Formation of McGee Networks - McGee Networks is formed to provide telecommunication services to network owners and operators2013Energy from waste - McGee employed as a subcontractor to Balfour Beatty to carrying out all civil and concrete works for the construction of a new household waste treatment facility in Basildon, Essex2013Gatwick Airport, Pier 5 - A Laser-Guided Tunnel Boring Machine is used at Gatwick Airport - the first time this ‘no dig’ solution has been used in Europe!2013Wimbledon - Long term partnering with Wimbledon All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet (AELTC) for almost 20 years2015130+ in-house designed mobile apps - A revolutionary project allowing paper-free tasks to be performed on smartphones, tablets and web.201635 metre Liebherr Excavator - A bespoke 35 metre telescopic excavator - the first of its kind to be used in the UK.2017Microsoft HoloLens and mixed reality capability - HoloLens is an emerging area which we think will revolutionise the industry in which we work.