At McGee we are committed to safeguarding the environment in the communities where we operate whilst leaving behind a positive lasting legacy long after we have left a site.
We have adopted the widely accepted Brundtland Report definition of sustainable development introduced by the World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED):
‘development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs’
Based on this definition, we have developed our own sustainability goals for resource use and conservation in line with national targets and sustainable construction guidelines.
Each project’s Environmental and Sustainability Plan takes into account these goals and proposes a strategy to deal with a range of issues that are envisaged to have an impact on the overall sustainability of all our projects. They are not limited to the design and execution stages of the project but go beyond the completion of the works.
Our specialist Environmental team has the required experience for projects operating in highly sensitive and regulated environments where environmental considerations have to be very carefully managed.
We strive to demonstrate competence and compliance through memberships and accreditations to industry relevant standards and practices. Our current status includes certification to ISO9001 and ISO14001, which incorporate assessment of our landfill procedures and operations. Additionally:-
- FSC Chain of Custody System
- Waste Carrier Licence
- WRAP Halving Waste to Landfill
- Noise, vibration & dust: Section 60 notices / Section 61 agreements with Local Authorities
- Bespoke environmental permits and groundwater and trade effluent licenses and consent.
To meet new emission control regulations and to minimise our impact on the environment we are continually investing in new Plant & Equipment and Transport & Logistics. These investments include Euro 6 and NRMM compliant vehicles and state-of-the-art plant.
A strategy for waste reduction, reuse and recycling is devised for all of our projects. Part of the implementation of this strategy is the preparation of a Site Waste Management Plan with the use of the industry-leading BRESmartWaste platform.
Meeting environmental assessment methods such as BREEAM or LEED requirements have previously aided our clients’ aims to achieve a rating of ‘Excellent’ and above.
Below are some of the many measures we have put in place to help lower the impact of our activities on the environment:
- Reduce waste to landfill, targeting 98% recycling rates
- Completing an extensive tree planting project to offset carbon emissions
- Reuse of excavation materials directly for new land engineering projects
- Working with local social enterprises to promote reuse of soft strip materials
- Seeking innovation through new technologies and partnerships
Above & Beyond
Our Environmental Strategy is continuously improving as we learn and develop new sustainable methods for each of our projects – it’s a performance which has garnered a wealth of external awards.
Recent awards include:
- International Green World Ambassador 2018
- Highly Commended RoSPA International Dilmun Environmental Award 2018
- International Green World Ambassador 2017
- Gold Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice 2017 at Southbank Place
- Gold Green World Award for Environmental Best Practice 2017 at One Nine Elms
Please use the following news links for a sample of our work which demonstrates our environmental and sustainability considerations:
- McGee retains Green World Ambassador status
- McGee is awarded prestigious Environmental RoSPA Award
- McGee wins gold at the Green World Awards 2017
- Leading the way for environmentally aware demolition
- Gold for McGee in the Green Apple Awards 2017
- McGee honoured as International Green World Ambassador
- McGee wins silver Green Apple Environmental Award
- Giving back to the community
- McGee supports Cleaner Air Action Days
- Giving building materials a new lease of life
- Leading the way with effective noise monitoring